What to blog about?
Hard eh as a new stay at home mom blogger.
Trying to come up with a blogging niche or blogging topics or blog ideas can be super hard when you’re just starting out. Starting a blog means you have to create content regularly for years to come.
How do you do it?
For me, the number one challenge I hear from new bloggers is finding blog ideas to blog about. They have no idea what their niche is.
I totally get you.
When I started Twins Mommy I really had no idea what sort of blog ideas to write about. I knew I didn’t want to have blog post ideas all about my twins – all the time!! But, with a name like Twins Mommy, I had to find a way to write what I enjoyed.
So I ended up writing about what I knew best – working from home with little ones.
But later on, this focussed on moms that want to make money blogging.
So, let me be the first to tell you that the niche you choose today, may not be the blogging niche you have a year later! And that’s okay.
You are refining and honing your niche topic or topics. And that’s a good thing, mama!
The more centered your blog ideas are, the better you can grow your income. But, that’s not to say you can’t blog about many ideas under big blog name ideas.
Let me show you how.
Let’s go into 237 blog ideas to help you figure out what to blog about and your editorial content (psst…this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how many different blogging ideas for your niche you can come up with!)
The Best Blog Ideas for New Bloggers
1. Parenting Blogging Ideas
Many moms start a parenting blog as this is what we know about (amiright?!). And this is great. There are many topics and subtopics you can use for your next blog post idea.
- 5 minute kid crafts
- Preemie newborn
- Toddlers with anxiety
- Teens with depression
- Baby Milestones
- Baby for the first year
- Baby sign language
- Breastfeeding for new moms
- Raising all boys
- Raising all girls
- Kid activities/learning
- Disciplining toddlers
- Raising twins for the first time
- Single parenting
- Sleeping baby problems
- Healthy eating toddlers
- Exercise for kids
- Yoga for kids
- Kid fashion trends
- Kid organization hacks
- All about lunch kits and/or backpacks (this is a niche mamas!)
- Mom life/fashion
- Anxiety kid life
- Stay at home mom with a large family
- Working mom with a large family
- Mental health as a parent/mom
- Organization mom hacks
Sleeping Should Be Easy
Nina’s blog, Sleeping Should Be Easy, was a godsend for me. I was a new mom to twins and knew nothing! 🙂 I stumbled upon Nina’s blog probably when I was pumping one afternoon and spent hours reading her posts about twins.
While Nina’s main focus is on helping twins, she does branch out and share tips for working moms or about play.
Blog ideas around babies is a great topic to blog about!
Smart Mom Ideas
Smart Mom Ideas is another blog I have. I blog about pregnancy and parenting content for first time moms. Over the years I’ve honed down the niche to really speak to the new mom or pregnant mom!
Here are examples of blog ideas for your blog:
- Best Organization Hacks for Busy Moms
- 45 Kid-Friendly Exercise Routines
- 130 Baby Cues You Need to Know
- Sensory Toddler Activities that Are Mess Free!
2. Family Blog Ideas
Family blogs focus on the family core and how to help others have a happy or productive family. If you don’t want to specifically talk about being a mom or about your child, you can collectively blog about your family.
- Starting a family
- Baby prep
- Growing as a family
- Wedding (although this doesn’t have to end as a family, if you are getting married and eventually want to start a family, you can start blogging about wedding prep and family prep)
- Maternity advice
- New mom advice
- Maternity fashion
- Pregnancy health
- Pregnancy exercise
- Pregnancy yoga
- Becoming a good parent
- Raising your family
- Raising your family paleo
- Raising your family on a farm
- Raising your family as a traveler
- Traveling family
- Family meal planning
- Kid-friendly recipes
- Managing a big family
- Budgeting for a big family
Swaddles n’ Bottles
Caroline’s blog, Swaddles n’ Bottles, is a wonderful blog for new modern moms! Her blog is filled with helpful blog post ideas for the new mom from breastfeeding to toddler activities.
Her blog attracts a varied audience, yet it is a specific audience – new moms.
Mom to Mom Nutrition
Katie of Mom to Mom Nutrition focuses on healthy nutrition for families. For me, whenever I’m stuck with figuring out what to feed my family, I always check here first for some delicious and healthy recipes!
Here are blog ideas for your blog:
- 15 Maternity Fashion Ideas
- The Secret to Traveling With Toddlers
- 3 Kids Under 3: My Chore Plan to Keep Me Sane
- 45 Instant Pot Recipes Kids Will Love
3. Educational Blog Ideas
Educational type of blogs are more instructional and try to help you transition from point A to point B. If you start one of these blogs, you can educate newbies to your topic or help those established get to the next level.
- Productivity hacks for busy moms
- Productive as a single mom
- Productive as an entrepreneur
- Productive as a working mom
- Productive as a stay-at-home mom
- Productive as a mom blogger
- Time management hacks for a large family
- Time management for moms
- Time management for mom bloggers
- Time management for entrepreneurs
- Goal planning tips for travelers
- Goal planning printables
- Start homeschool
- Homeschool curriculum ideas for elementary
- Homeschool tip for beginners
- Homeschool organization hacks
- Homeschool Printables/Worksheets
- Bible study
- Ministry teaching
- Christian values
- Personal development tips
- Developing successful habits
- Personal growth
- Mindset growth
- Authenticity in life
- Mental health
- Self-care for moms/women
Melanie Redd and her husband operate a ministry. Her blog ideas are about how to live a true life for God. She has posts about encouraging your wife, showing how much you love your husband and more. Living a faithful and blessed life is something that many people strive for and Melanie’s blog has a lot of great resources.
Rebecca’s blog, Hip Homeschooling has amazing resources to help you start your own homeschool. While her blog ideas focuses on homeschooling resources, it does also cover faith and mom life topics like encouragement and recipes. She realizes that her audience doesn’t only want to know about homeschooling, but also mom stuff and faith.
Here are blog ideas for your blog:
- My Homeschool Routine with 5 Kids
- Spiritual Goal Planner Printable
- Easy Ways to Save Time Meal Prepping
- Time Management for Work at Home Moms
4. Business Blog Ideas
You can start a blog with the intention of monetizing it. This is how I started blogging. I created Innovative Ink and started a service-based business blog.
If you have experience in something that you know would help people, OR, you want to learn more about something (like Pinterest or blogging), then you can start a business blog niche.
For example, social media is a big industry and if you are a social media marketer, you can have tons of blog post ideas at your disposal.
- Digital marketing
- Freelance writing
- Blogging for stay at home moms
- Start a virtual assistant business
- Start a photography business
- Start equine photography
- Start newborn photography
- Email marketing for bloggers
- Social media for influencers
- Social media marketing for coaches
- Facebook marketing/management for bloggers
- Instagram marketing/management for coaches
- Pinterest marketing/management for female entrepreneurs
- Life coaching for working moms
- Business coaching for corporate families
- Parent coaching for tired moms
- Mom blogging coaching
- Health and wellness for eco friendly moms
- Essential oils for beauty moms
- Youtube tips for stay at home moms
- Video marketing for course creators
- Pilates instructions for moms
- Yoga instructions for college women
- Living eco-friendly for college women
- Baby blankets for new moms
- Clothes for postpartum body
- Children clothes for sensitive children
- Activity printables for kids who are bored
- Planners for the working mom
- Business cards for freelancers
Lauren and Alex have exploded on Pinterest with their health site, Avocadu. I love their site because they promote food as a medicine and want you to look at the root problem of why you have dry skin or why you have headaches all the time.
They have created a business by providing guides, eBooks and courses and could be a good blog niche for you.
I love Jessica’s site and YouTube channel. She provides great tutorials – like this one on OBS – and embeds her YouTube video on her posts and gives awesome tips for people that want to use video marketing to grow their business.
Here are some post ideas for your blog:
- How to Start Clubhouse for Your Mom Business
- The Only Instagram Strategy You Need to Grow Your Brand
- 18 Virtual Assistant Services You Can Offer
- Yoga For Beginners: 5 Simple Poses
Pinterest LOVES DIY and home decor pins. This is a great blog idea for your blog if you are in the know about home decor or you have a knack for DIY projects. Check out these post ideas.
- Kid crafts
- Kid clothing
- Kid toys
- Farmhouse decor
- Rustic living
- Eco-friendly living
- Home office
- College living
- Decor for cheap
- Modern decor
- Ethical eating
- Meal planning
- Quick meals
- Healthy meals
- DIY for apartment living
- Tiny house
- Tiny house design
- Tiny house decor
Mariah’s niche blog, Comet Camper, helps people transition from big house living to tiny house living. She’s created an eCourse and has turned this blogging idea into a business.
Farmhouse on Boone
Lisa’s blog, Farmhouse on Boone, is so beautiful. She gives great ideas for a white farmhouse and minimalist look. Her blog also branches out to simple living.
Here are some content ideas for your blog:
- How to Make a Wooden Toy Box
- A Day In the Life of a College Student
- 12 Wonderful Rustic Kitchen Ideas
- 23 Slow Cooker Recipes for Chicken Lovers
6. Beauty Blog Ideas
If you are passionate about beauty and fashion you can totally start a blog in that niche! This content idea can serve many people, so make sure you are clear with your demographic.
- Makeup for moms
- Makeup for teens
- Makeup for talent shows
- Makeup for dance competitions
- Makeup for actors
- Makeup coverage tips
- Makeup dupes
- Makeup on a bargain
- Makeup for wedding
- Curly hair
- Long hair
- Short hair
- Red hair
- Styles for teens
- Styles for women
- Styles for men
- Boho style
- Style for over 60
- Plus size styles
- Capsule wardrobe
- Mom capsule wardrobe
- Mom style
- Child fashion
- Child hair tutorials
Hair By Lori
Lori is a mom and loves to do hair! Lori helps others learn how to braid like her! I love the pictures and video tutorials in each of her posts!
Now THAT I Can Do, Mama!
I LOVE Corina’s blog, Now That I Can Do, Mama! Her motto: a blog for moms fighting the frumpy monster. This is perfect! She has visuals, pillar types of posts and her freebies all focus on fashion and wardrobe.
If you’re a mom that is clueless about fashion (because you’ve spent a better part of a year or more in maternity clothes and nursing bras…ahem..) then this is the blog for you!
Some blog content ideas to help you on your new blog:
- A Simple Makeup Routine for Your Wedding Day
- 12 Tween Fashion for Your Daughter
- 5 Chic Boho Styles for Busy Moms
- 9 Curly Hair Styles When You Don’t What to Do
7. Finance/Making Money
Budgeting and money is something that is universal. You can help a lot of people or a core set of people. It’s up to you.
- Frugal living
- Budgeting for a large family
- Budgeting for two
- Budgeting as a family
- Budgeting for beginners
- Grocery budgeting
- Personal finance
- Make money online
- Side Hustles
- Make money as a stay at home mom
- Make money from home
- Saving money
- Paying off debt
- Living on one income
- Make money blogging
Smart Cents for Life
Shirley is behind Smart Cents for Life, a life style blog, where she helps people save money and make money as well as give finance tips. While her content is varied it’s all centered around saving money or making money.
Frugal Coupon Living
Ashley’s blog, Frugal Coupon Living is mostly about the latest deals. Her blog also has awesome recipes and craft ideas. As you can see, you can have a blog dedicated to couponing and saving but also blog on other topics based on your audience’s interests.
Check out these blogging ideas for your blog:
- The Ultimate Budget Binder for Families
- How to Save $100 Every Month
- 28 Side Hustles Kids Could Try
- 5 Easy Money Making Hobbies
Many of these can serve as a guest post for your content plan too!
If you have experience in helping other’s in their relationships, then you can offer help online with your blog. Whether it’s for singles or married couples, if your relationship is successful, share your tips with others that need help!
- Living together
- Next step in your relationship
- Couple life
- Couple transition
- Healthy relationship
- Loving relationship
- Being single
- Christian dating
- Second marriages
- Christian marriage
- Long-distance relationship
Tony and Michelle have a wonderful blog, Stay Married, celebrating being married. With their podcast and blog you can get your fill on having a healthy and loving marriage.
My Love Thinks
Drs. John Van Epp + Morgan Cutlip’s blog My Love Thinks helps people in relationships – whether dating or in a marriage. With courses and freebies, they have your covered if you are in a new relationship or struggling to stay in one. Definitely check out their blog for post ideas.
Here are some blog ideas for your blog:
- 8 Ways to Support Your Partner Through a Tough Time
- 5 Must-Read Relationship Books
- 9 Things to Avoid Saying When Dating
- 5 Steps to Better Communication With Your Partner
There are many marriage and relationship lifestyle blogs where you can guest post too!
9. Food Blog Ideas
Everyone loves food! There are so many food and recipe blogs, who can this be a good niche to get into? Well – it covers the masses which means you can target a type of audience for your food blog.
It’s highly visual and that means you can promote this on Pinterest and Instagram to explode your blog traffic quickly. It’s also a great blog niche idea to monetize. You can create recipe books, bootcamp courses and more.
- Authentic international food
- Quick meals
- Picky eaters
- College cuisine
- Keto recipes
- Whole 30 recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Large family cooking
- Simple ingredients
- Healthy easy food
- One pan meals
- Dump meals
- Instant Pot meals
- Slow Cooker meals
De Mi Rancho a Tu Cocina
Doña Ángela is a grandmother living in Mexico. She shares very authentic Mexican cooking on her YouTube channel.
She has over 2.3 Million subscribers. While this is a blog post about blog ideas, you can get started on YouTube, grow a community and then direct people to your blog. This is a great idea for sure!
Dana’s blog, the Minimalist Baker gets over 2Million visitors a month to her blog.
She provides very simple recipes that taste amazing. And, as a reader, I love knowing that Dana’s blog is healthy and easy to make.
Here are some blogging ideas for your blog content schedule:
- 5 One Pan Meals for Families
- The Simple Trick to End Picky Eating
- 9 Keto Desserts You Must Try
- How to Cook With Chick Peas
10. Pregnancy Blog Ideas
Pregnancy can fall under new mom or even parenting topics, but the pregnancy niche on it’s own is a HUGE niche. The maternity niche on its own is a billion dollar industry.
- Twin Pregnancy
- High-risk pregnancy
- Teen pregnancy
- Pregnancy fashion
- Preparing for pregnancy
- First trimester pregnancy
- Giving birth
- Pregnancy complications
- Antenatal depression
- Gestational diabetes
- Breast pumps
- Pregnancy health tips
Chloe’s blog Pregnancy Prep is filled conceiving and getting pregnant advice.
She’s a registered nurse health practitioner and has the qualifications to give you this type of information.
Coffee and Coos
Alexandra’s lifestyle blog, Coffee and Coos, is primarily a pregnancy blog. It’s filled with her own wisdom and she also features other moms.
Here are blog ideas for your pregnancy blog:
- 8 Ways to Relieve Heart Burn When Pregnant
- The Best Pregnancy Journal to Have
- What to Pack for the Hospital When Having Twins
- 9 Best Breast Pumps to Try
While I mentioned some travel topics in this post, you can separate this highly profitable niche blog idea. There is a large audience that loves to travel and wants travel information.
- Disney travel
- Cruise ship travel
- Expat travel
- Single and traveler
- Travel destinations
- Australian travel
- Winter traveling
- Travel and pets
- Adventure travel
- Off the grid traveler
- Business travels
- Road trips
- Food tourism
Polka Dots and Pixie Dust
This blog is primarily a Disney blog that caters to families that want to visit Disneyland.
Here are some more blogging ideas to help you out:
- 5 Essentials for Winter Traveling
- What to Do In Burgdorf Hot Springs, Idaho
- 9 German Restaurants to Check Out
- 5 Simple Aerobic Tips When on a Cruise Ship
Pro Tips For Finding Blog Ideas and Your Niche Topic
There are a lot of different ideas you can have to start your blog, right? It might seem a whole lot and overwhelming, but there are some simple ways to figure out your niche.
- What can you NOT stop talking about? Is it your knack for minimizing your home? Or is it your knowledge about health and fitness?
- Can you write about it for a long time?
- Can you create a product or monetize this idea? If you have a solid blogging idea then you can probably figure out a product or a way to monetize that idea. For example, if you want to have a homesteading blog, you can create a course to help others start that adventure or create printables to figure out if they are doing it right.
Another way to look at a blog idea is to try to make it unique. This means you can stand out faster from the blogging noise out there. One easy way to unique your niche is to combine blogging ideas.
For example, from the list above I can create these combined niches:
- Maternity fashion for modern women
- Meal planning for couples
- Homeschooling twins
By combining these blog topics you are also honing down your niche to fit one type of audience (or a couple of audiences). This can help boost your income and engage with the right audience for sure!
Finally, you can look at your blog niche as a place to share your ideas. This would count as a lifestyle blog with many similar topics. So, from the list of blog post ideas, you can choose a variety like frugal living and cooking or hairstyles and makeup for moms.
Picking more than one topic for your blog is okay in the beginning. It can even be popular in the long run like other multi-niche blogs like Pop Sugar.
But, for the rest of us, having one core niche is the best option for sure!
If All Else Fails, Look to Maslow for Blog Ideas
Psychologist, Maslow developed a hierarchy of needs. These are the basic and crucial needs all people have.
To find blog ideas, you can find a blog topic around Maslow’s hierarchy of needs. Here’s a graph I created based on Maslow’s needs and the types of blog topics you can have as well as niched down topics to ensure that you find the right audience for your blog idea.
As a new blogger, you can ensure that picking a blog idea from Maslow’s hierarchy of needs means that you are helping a basic human need. And people will gladly pay to solve any problems they have with these basic needs –
- Disorganized house – A home decor blogger can sell a decluttering program to help the overwhelmed home owner
- Just broke up – A relationship blog can help someone who just broke up feel more confident and find ways to attract the right mate by having a relationship bootcamp video class
- Hates their job and wants to quit – A blog about making a living blogging can teach these people another way to make a living by providing a coaching service
Bonus: Most Asked Questions About Blog Ideas
1. What are the Best Blogging Topics?
Finding that right blog idea is the hard part, but coming up with consistent blog topics can also be challenging.
When figuring that out, you usually look to your audience and find a problem they are having. But, what if your blog is new and you don’t know you audience?
Well let’s look at the blog idea breastfeeding.
To find the questions people are asking you can use Answer the Public. Plug in your blog topic and it will spew out all the questions people ask:
There are 195 questions about breastfeeding. Take a look at this exhaustive list and find some blog post ideas:
- Are Breastfeeding Classes Necessary?
- How Do You Start Breastfeeding?
- What To Do When Breastfeeding Doesn’t Work
2. How Do I Come Up with a Blog Idea?
There are many ways to come up with that perfect blog idea. I just showed you Answer the Public, but another great way to find an idea is to use BuzzSumo. Plug in your topic and you will see the most popular blog posts about that topic.
This will give you an indication whether your blog topic is a success or fail.
Here is the result for poke bowl recipes:
As you can see, a lot of these posts did very well on Pinterest. This tells you to make sure to have attractive images in your post and eye-catching visuals on your pin.
Another way to find blog topics is with Google Trends. Maybe you have an idea for a blog post, but not sure if it’s popular. Look at Google Trends and see if your topic is on an upward or downward trend.
If the topic is going up on the graph, then you know people are still interested in learning about it. But, if the topic is dying out, then maybe you need to find a new blog topic idea.
What’s great about Google Trends is you can compare to blog ideas. For example, if I have a health blog and I want to blog about either Paleo or Keto, I would want to know whether the topic is still interesting to readers.
You can find a trending topic easily with this free tool.
As you can see, Keto is much more popular than Paleo. This can tell you to focus more on Keto recipes and the Keto lifestyle than the Paleo lifestyle.
And when you are done writing the blog post? Make sure to share it on social media. I like going on Twitter to tweet my post multiple times a day! And, don’t forget to share it on Pinterest as part of your content marketing plan!
3. How Do I Write a Blog?
Writing a blog post takes practice.
So, I suggest you start your first blog post with a “hey, get to know me” type of post. Why did you start your blog? Things like that. This can help you feel more comfortable with the content management platform you are using (ex: WordPress).
You can also write a list post too. These are easy posts to write and are highly sharable on social meda.
And, above all, make sure you understand your target audience. As lifestyle bloggers, who is your target audience? What lifestyle blog post ideas can you come up with?
They can be young single moms or college students or fit moms. Make sure to narrow your demographics to get the best traffic to your blog.
If you need help with writing a blog check out these Twins Mommy posts:
Blog Ideas to Help You Out!
Now is the perfect time to start a blog. It’s perfect for moms that want some creative outlet or some extra cash on the side! If you need help starting a blog, check out my super simple tutorial on starting a blog step-by-step!
Tell me in the comments what blogging idea you like or what you want to blog about mamas!
And I would love it if you pinned me!
Leave a Reply